Lower Marlboro Wharf
Wharf open dawn to dusk. No overnight parking.
For Information: 410-535-5327
No fees. Limited parking and no facilities.
Use the address 4000 Lower Marlboro Road, Owings 20736 for GPS systems
Lower Marlboro is one of twenty steamboat landings/wharves located in Calvert County. Approximately 36 miles from where the Patuxent meets the Chesapeake, the wharf was an important mode of transportation for local residents, farms, and businesses.
Today, the public can fish from the pier, launch your kayak, and enjoy the view of the Patuxent River.
There is an increased interest in providing safe kayak and canoe access along the Patuxent River in Calvert County.
Six locations are available to put in a kayak or canoe:
Please ask questions, and provide comments about your experiences and expectations for the wharf.
Journey into History
Lower Marlboro Freedom Day
The daylong celebration will be held Saturday, Oct. 8, 2022, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., with events at Lower Marlboro United Methodist Church, located at 6519 Lower Marlboro Lane in Owings, and Lower Marlboro Hall, located at 3911 Lower Marlboro Road in Owings. Festivities include a walking tour, speakers, entertainment, fishing, food and exhibits. For more information: https://www.calvertparks.org/event-4960432
Maryland Department of Natural Resources will host a free fishing at the pier; under 16 years old do not require a fishing license; those older than 16 should apply for their license before the event: https://dnr.maryland.gov/Pages/service_fishing_license.aspx
Recent research revealed that thirteen enslaved persons escaped to freedom, taking refuge on one of the British vessels that came into Lower Marlboro in July of 1814. The British troops, accompanied by Colonial Marines, a unit made up of former slaves, burned the tobacco warehouses, but also went to the home of Elizabeth Ballard from which they took the enslaved families to safety on their boats. Most of the thirteen later showed up on documents as free people in Nova Scotia. Read more...
Calvert County Heritage Tour on Lower Marlboro. The Historic District Commission has developed a "story map" featuring 21 stops with images, video and commentary. Find it here: Lower Marlboro Route
There has been a wharf at Lower Marlboro since 1750. A hand-drawn map of Lower Marlboro, circa 1800, shows a square wharf in its present location with a holding pen not far down the road on the south side. Two warehouses were located north of the wharf. Later documents, as recent as 1923, show an L-shaped wharf with two gable-ended warehouses. Access was an inclined ramp on the south side of the warehouses.