Calvert County Natural Resources Division is responsible for the preservation, management and operation of natural areas for the purpose of providing compatible outdoor recreation and educational opportunities for the public.
Regulations for General Public Use
- Dogs on leash are permitted in all Natural Resources Parks EXCEPT Battle Creek Cypress Swamp. No Pets allowed at Battle Creek Cypress Swamp, even on the trails.
The following activities are prohibited in the parks:
- Launching or operating model airplanes and drones (UAV)
- Possession and use of firearms of any type
- Golf practice
- Fire of any kind, except in designated fire rings or grills
- Car washing and waxing
- Ice Skating
- Use of any motor propelled vehicle, including minibikes, trail bikes, snow sleds off a road
Users of the parks may not engage in profit-making activities and selling of merchandise, including but not limited to:
- A person may not utilize the park for conducting private instruction or lessons for which a fee is charged unless the program is conducted either by the County or by permit.
- For-profit business activities are prohibited.
- A group permitted to use a park facility may not charge a fee to enter the park or facility.
- A person may not sell anything in a park except with permission.
- Soliciting or asking the public or county employees for contributions is prohibited
The following activities are permitted in certain parks within 1) designated areas and 2) subject to special regulations. Contact park staff to determine if these activities are permitted.
- Horseback riding
- Walking and riding of bikes on trails
- Games involving thrown or other propelled objects such as balls, stones, arrows, or javelins except in areas set apart for such forms of recreation.
- Parking cars except in designated parking areas
- Metal detecting permitted only on the Flag Ponds beach.
- Dogs on leash allowed, except at Battle Creek Cypress Swamp and Nature Center
See Parks & Recreation Ordinance (Chapter 82 of the Calvert County Code) .
Group Reservations and Rentals
The Natural Resources Division makes facilities available for private events
in two of the county’s nature parks.
Request to Place a Geocache
You must receive approval from the Calvert County Natural Resources Division prior to placing a cache. To obtain approval, submit the Cache Approval Form to the office. In most cases, you will be advised of a decision within 5 business days.
Download the Cache Request Form (PDF)